Saturday, September 5, 2009

Simply Sunny Sauvignon

Let me preface this short review with two facts: Sauginon Blanc usually smells like the room at the skating rink where you get your skates and I hate grapefruits.
So I find myself in a bit of a predicament when tasting this 2008 Yellow Tail Sauvignon Blanc (Southern pronunciation is "Sav-YAWN"). It smells like a freshly cut bouquet of flowers and it taste like a grapefruit without all the pucker. I'm amazed.
Most of the sauvignon blancs that I've tasted are really grassy; what the wine world calls "herbaceous." As gross as that sounds it's actually quite good. So this Yellow Tail is a nice change of pace. It's crisp and light with a hint of the sun shinning through on the tongue.
If you are planning a cheap, after labor day trip to the beach do yourself a favor when packing up the umbrella and chairs: slip a bottle of this sauvignon blanc into the beach bag. For six bucks you can't go wrong.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

~Rob.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Weeknight Wine on

Become a Fan of Weeknight Wine

Weeknight Wine on Facebook