Monday, August 31, 2009

The Frog has Fumbled

I recently got excited when I found a bottle of Toad Hollow 'Le Faux Frog' Merlot 2005 for only $3.99. So excited in fact that I bought quite a few bottles. Oh Toad, where to begin.
Well first things first: Toad Hollow makes good wine. I'm not a big viognier fan but they make a pretty good one. And I'm told that their chardonnay is not too shabby either. So it was to my utter disappointment when I popped the cork on this 2005 merlot.
I've never had a wine that had no flavor at all. I could not detect anything in this wine. No blackberry, no spice, no nothing! It was just flat. Flat up front, flat in the back and even flat under the tongue (if that's possible). Don't get me wrong, I still drank it. I was just a little suprised that's all.
So I'm not going to totally squash this frog. In fact I'll give you a link to their site to let you decide for yourself. (Their site does say that this series is from France and that this merlot is not "messaged" and is "100%" merlot.) Maybe I have not developed a french palate because Toad Hollow is known for pretty decent wines so I don't want to be too harsh. But it should be known that this merlot was pretty hollow.
http://www.toadhollow.com/

~Rob.

Rating: 5.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Weeknight Wine on

Become a Fan of Weeknight Wine

Weeknight Wine on Facebook